IDPE essential development toolkit for schools seminar
|Time||10:00 to 16:00|
|Location||The Caledonian Club|
9 Halkin Street
Online registration is now closed. There are still spaces available and to book your place, please contact the IDPE office at email@example.com or on 01225 829030.
The IDPE essential development toolkit for schools seminar is the first port of call for anyone new to schools’ development. It provides delegates with the nuts and bolts of how a professional schools’ development office runs and will offer them an opportunity to breakout into small groups, working with experienced Development Directors and their peers, to establish relevant and attainable goals.
This one day seminar takes place:
|On:||Thursday 14 November 2019|
|From:||10.00am - 4.00pm|
|At:||The Caledonian Club, London SW1|
|Speakers:||Karen Hartshorn, Murray Lindo and Phillip Rothwell|
|Audience:||All those new to schools’ development|
|'It was valuable to put the different aspects of development into context and consolidate what I have already learnt through my work so far, … and to network with other development professionals and share fundraising and relationship building strategies.’ (2017 Essential Development Toolkit delegate)|
- Are you setting up your school’s first development office?
- Have you worked in schools’ development for less than 18 months?
- Do you have new staff joining your team?
The school visits will enable delegates:
- to observe first-hand how an established development office operates
- to see how the learning discussed at the seminar is put into practice
- to spend time with and learn from an experienced Development Director
- to expand professional networks by spending time with fellow schools’ development practitioners
These visits will take place at:
- Pangbourne College, Reading: (independent co-educational day and boarding school, ages 11-18) Date: Wednesday 27 November 2019 (to include lunch)
- Wellington College: (independent co-educational day and boarding school, ages 13-18) Date: Wednesday 20 November 2019 10.30-2pm (to include lunch)
- Warwick Independent Schools Foundation: (independent boys day and boarding school, 7-18) Date: Friday 22 November 2019 10.30-2pm (to include lunch)
Who should attend
Heads, Bursars and Governors who are thinking about setting up a development office or getting involved in their existing one.
Development and alumni professionals who are new to the field.
Read the full programme.
Topics covered on the day will include:
- How to manage expectations
- What to consider when setting up an office
- How to manage important relationships within the school and in the community
- What type of data should be stored on alumni
- How to communicate with and hold events for alumni
- An overview of the different types of fundraising and their purposes
- Your goals for the first year
This seminar is delivered by highly experienced Development Directors who are IDPE members and popular speakers. Each will host a visit to their school. The speakers are:
Director of Development
Karen Hartshorn currently serves as Chairman of IDPE, and in the past has been a Regional Vice-President and IDPE Conference Co-Chair. She is Director of Development at Pangbourne College, overseeing marketing, admissions, and communications in addition to fundraising and alumni relations. Educated at Harvard and Cambridge, Karen has held development roles at a Cambridge college and at Canford School, in addition to previous fundraising, communications and marketing-oriented roles. Previous voluntary roles have included serving as a state school governor and trustee of a conservation charity.
Head of the Wellington Community
After 5 Years as Director the Tonbridge Foundation, Murray has now been Head of the Wellington Community at Wellington College for the last 3 years. Along with raising funds for the bursary and capital building programme, Murray and his team run the global social and professional Wellington Connect network for parents (past and present) and OWs as well as providing career advice and support for current students. Murray is currently a trustee of IDPE.
Director of Development
Warwick Independent Schools Foundation
Phillip has worked in development for 13 years, first in higher education at the University of Warwick and London Business School, and more recently in schools. In 2011 he set up Warwick School's first sustainable development function, introduced a new bursary programme, and successfully completed a capital fundraising appeal for a new school hall. In 2017, Phillip's role expanded to serve the whole school foundation of Warwick School and King's High School. Phillip is currently trustee and Deputy Chair of IDPE.
|'An excellent introduction to the field by experienced practitioners.’ (2016 essential development toolkit delegate)|
Places are limited and allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. To book a place please RSVP above or contact the IDPE office on 01225 829030 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Booking Terms and Conditions
All cancellations must be received in writing and emailed to email@example.com. Cancellations received at least three weeks before the Seminar date will receive a full refund. No refund will be made for cancellations received within three weeks of the seminar date. Any costs incurred from online payment will not be refunded.
Please be advised that seminars and workshops may be cancelled in exceptional circumstances. All delegates will be notified of any event cancellation no less than four weeks before the event date. When cancelling an event with more than four weeks notice, IDPE will not be liable for any expenses incurred by the delegate.